The knowledge of the basic plumbing skills can come in handy and save you the trouble of calling for a specialist. You will be able to fix small problems and eliminate some leaks. However, one should have some equipment. Let’s make a list of the plumbing tools you should buy and get familiar with.
The top 5 tools you should have
- Plumber’s tape is an essential element in the household. You can use it to prevent leaks. As a rule, it comes in white color. In case you have any doubts about using it, just find an online tutorial and learn how to use it on pipes, showerheads, faucets, etc.
- A wrench is the best thing a person should think about. This is a must-have tool in the house. Every plumber has it and you’d better buy it as well. The tool is adjustable and usually used to grip the pipe when fixing it. Any home improvement stores offer a wide range of options that differ in size and purpose.
- A plunger is probably the most widespread tool most houses have. In case you still don’t own it, it’s high time to go buy one. You can use a plunger to clear clogs in sinks, toilets, and tubs. This prevents further problems by removing the debris and letting the water pass smoothly.
- Screwdrivers aren’t the first thing that comes to mind when you think about plumbing tools. However, it comes in handy when there is a need to screw or unscrew connections. Plumbers often have plus-shaped screwdrivers. The modern market offers a huge selection of such tools. You can buy a single set with multiple tops and use it to keep the whole house in order.
- A tape measure is a simple tool you often use not only in plumbing-related matters. It’s the metallic measuring tape that comes in a compact plastic case. You’ll probably need it to measure some components of the plumbing system.
Aside from these common options, the list can be expanded a lot. People who want to get basic plumbing skills should also buy washers, pipe cutters, channel locks, a metal file, etc. On the other hand, in case you need a few tools to eliminate only small issues, the top 5 tools will be enough.
Useful tips to take into account
While the selection of tools and DIYs on the web is enormous, one shouldn’t try to make some complicated plumbing projects without special knowledge. If you aren’t sure you can handle it, don’t risk anything and call for a specialist. Otherwise, you might make things worse and end up paying more for the services. To make things worse, you might damage the house or things inside it. That’s why you shouldn’t buy the tools for the sake of buying or just because you think you can do everything.
Be smart about purchasing the plumbing tools and look for high-quality pieces. It’s better to buy one or two essential tools of excellent quality.